Tuesday 26 July 2011

La Selva (JUNGLE!!!)

¡Hola!

I´m fresh from the jungle and missing is already. It was exactly how you would imagine it, hot, humid and not another person for miles around.

The thing that surprised me most about it was that as soon as we got of the one hour river boat and stepped into the jungle it was full of noises and movement. The jungle is never still and it is certainly not quite. There is always something falling out of a tree (or a tree falling out of the sky) or an aminal scuttingly away into a bush. And the birds! The birds are loco! They have no fear in there they just hoot, swoop and coo...and fall out of trees.

The weirdest thing about the jungle was not the animals though, it was the trees. It´s like a ghetto out there. There are trees that strangle each other, poison each other, trees covered in spines, there are walking trees, WALKING TREES, this is what kept me awake at night. These and the "arboles erotica" ....don´t ask. Obviously the tree world is not as fast paced as the human world. But this just made it more scary, like they would only move when you are not looking.

I think my most native experience would have to be eatting the Suri on our pre-breakfast walk. The Suri is a large maggot like worm found inside these nuts that grow on trees. They are considered a tasty fruit by the locals. I´m not so sure about tasty, because I swallowed mine whole, but I now live in constant fear that it is living in my stomach  eatting all my peruvian papas.

My favourite thing about the jungle was the stars. There is a different set of stars on this side of the world, so you can´t recognise anything. That and the moon eclipses from top to bottom instead of side to side.
At night it was so dark we could see the milky way, so at night we would sit for 3-5 hours around a camp fire drinking rum and talking shaky spanish with our guide under the stars.

Unfortunately the jungle was a bit to naturalistic for my poor camera, which promptly melted upon entering it, so the photos are severly limited.

Aaaah Jungle,

xxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment