Sunday 31 July 2011

Jogar Clinica

On Wednesday the Spanish school took us to one of the clinics they fund and students volunteer at.
The clinic was for children with physical and mental disabilities, mainly from rural areas of Puru. I wasn´t really prepared for what we saw.

None of the children were able to walk unaided, most of them were in wheelchairs and some of them were visibly very physically disabled. The clinic was very liberal and let us play with the children, dress them, feed them and take them outside. I think most of the volunteers were completely overwhelmed when they met the children, but they soon let us know what we should be doing.

The children themselves were amazing! They never complained and they were very patient, with the clumsy volunteers who had to carry them to their wheelchairs or help them put their jumpers on. I spent most of my time with one girl, called Catrina, who would make me take my headscarf off because she didn´t like it and then pull my hair until she decided she didn´t like that either and made me put it back on again. I don´t blame her, my hair is completely ridiculous.

 Before I left I helped her put on her pyjamas and she had to hold onto me while I did. But when I finshed she wouldn´t let go. She was like a little limpit. I asked if I could take her home but the answer was a no. So I left her with a packet of crisps, which I think she preferred anyway...


No comments:

Post a Comment